In January 2010, Department of Transportation banned commercial vehicle drivers in the U.S. from text messaging and using handheld cell phones while driving. Later that same year, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) announced the Compliance, Safety, Accountability (CSA) program as a new nationwide system for making the roads safer. More recently, the FMCSA released rules effective January, 2012 restricting use of hand-held mobile phones by drivers of commercial motor vehicles.
Compliance is critical for both your company and your drivers. Drivers who violate the restriction face penalties up to $2,750 for each offense and disqualification from operating a commercial motor vehicle for multiple offenses. Commercial truck companies who violate the restriction face a maximum penalty of $11,000 along with the increased likelihood of accidents and lawsuits. It’s also important for carriers to protect CSA score to avoid higher insurance premiums and attract both shippers and drivers actively searching for a reputable carrier
For less than 20 cents per driver/day, DecisionPoint can prevent distracted driving with a tamper-proof solution that blocks all unauthorized mobile phone usage when the vehicle is in motion. Key features include:
- Supports wide range of smart phones (Android, Blackberry, iOS and Windows Mobile), tablets and laptops (Android, iOS and Windows)
- Usage policy blocks unauthorized activity while vehicle is moving including phone calls (except 911), texting, e-mail and Web browsing
- With Web-based portal, policies can be set company-wide, by groups or by site and can be limited to work hours only for companies with BYOD policies
- Customers can whitelist applications such as mission-critical business applications, specific phone numbers, or Bluetooth hands-free calling
- Integrates with existing telematics
- Optional entry-level telematics including mileage, speed, idle time, hours of use, hard braking and rapid acceleration and check engine light
Contact DecisionPoint Systems, Inc. to learn more about our distracted driver solution and how it can ensure compliance and reduce your risks.