It’s time for part 2 of our closer look at RFID frequencies and technologies. Today I’ll be providing additional information about High Frequency (HF) Passive RFID. 13.56 MHZ HF RFID (passive) has the following characteristics:
- Read range: from approximately 1 inch to 3.28 ft.
- Reads multiple tags simultaneously
- Moderate memory: 256 to 16KB
- Penetrates most materials well, including water and body tissue
- Easily embedded in non-metallic items
- Not as effective as LF RFID in the presence of metal
- Not typically affected by electrical noise in an industrial environment
- Orientation of tags influences communication range-optimum range requires reader and tag to be parallel
Typical HF RFID applications include:
- Access control-ID cards and employee badges
- Asset tracking
- Retail security and Electronic Article Surveillance (EAS)
- Patient and specimen tracking in healthcare
- Maintenance and inspections
Check back next week for part 3 when I take a closer look at Ultra-High Frequency (UHF) RFID.