In yesterday’s post we defined Location-Based Services and described typical functionality.
Did you know that Gartner is predicting huge gains for mobile location-based services (LBS) in 2009 estimating total LBS subscribers will more than double worldwide this year, to 95.7 million. Why is this?
There are a number of benefits driving this growth especially in the Direct Store Delivery (DSD), Proof-of-Delivery and Field Services verticals. Benefits include:
- Increase productivity and improve customer service knowing delivery or work order status.
- Dynamically dispatch nearest driver to reduce cost, increase customer service and driver productivity.
- Route optimization increases productivity and reduces fuel and maintenance expenses.
- Know where your field workers are at all times—and where they have been.
- Integrate mobile location into short messaging alert notifications and e-mail for improved customer service.
- Measure and audit mobile workforce productivity. Eliminate unauthorized locations and identify long stops and excessive idling.
- Identify safety issues with speed alerts.
- Automatic reports for common vehicle maintenance (e.g. oil change, tire rotation, tune-up, etc.) based on GPS mileage.