In our post Monday I provided information about the benefits that bar coded wristbands provide to a variety of hospitality venues such as amusement parks and water parks. Bar coded wristbands are most often associated with the healthcare industry and are used to increase patient safety and the accuracy of medication dispensing at the point of care. In order to realize all of the benefits of bar code wristbands and to ensure patient safety, there are a few best practices to follow. DecisionPoint’s partner Zebra Technologies has compiled the following list of best practices to ensure your patient wristbands contain the right information and meet industry mandates.
- Repeat 2D bar codes across the wristband
- Use two linear bar codes
- Include human-readable text
- Include the medical record number and financial institution number
- Include check-digits for security
- Include print time and other traceable text
- Use thermal print on-demand printers